Grit and bear it no more!
“Night guards” protect teeth from damage, ease the pain of bruxism
The talented dentists and staff at Los Alamitos Dental Care provide relief from the distressing symptoms associated with bruxism, or chronic teeth grinding and jaw clenching. We are skilled at designing and overseeing Oral Appliance Therapy for our patients throughout southern California.
OAT spans a variety of oral appliances or devices customized to fit each patient’s unique mouth. Oral appliances for bruxism are commonly referred to as “night guards.”
Our team may point out bruxism during a check-up. We may notice potential trouble signs, not limited to:
- Loss of dental tissue, starting with the chewing surfaces
- Loss of protective tooth enamel
- Yellow teeth or stains, which arise as enamel thins and exposes the darker dentin layer underneath
- Overly short teeth
- Flattened teeth
- Teeth with an overly polished or smooth surface
- Rounding of the pointy canine teeth
- Tiny fractures
- Chipped teeth
- Gum recession (or a “long in the tooth” appearance)
- Loss of supportive bone
- Excessive movement; for instance, loose teeth or those that can be rocked in their sockets
- Excessive or premature wear and tear to dental fillings, crowns, and other restorations
In addition, our patients who brux may complain about symptoms such as chronic headaches and migraines, tinnitus, earaches or ear fullness, and jaw stiffness or locking. These symptoms are shared by individuals with Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJDs). It is thought that bruxism plays a role in TMJDs, due to the excessive force placed on the jaw joints and surrounding tissues due to chronic teeth grinding.
Night guards are a comfortable, discreet, low-maintenance, and highly portable way to protect teeth and dental restorations. And they may ease TMJD symptoms, too! Custom night guards available at the dentist’s office are made using dental impressions or models of your mouth as a guide. Our guards are fabricated from quality materials. They are a good investment because of their durability and strength. Furthermore, by protecting the teeth and tissues, you avoid the need for costly restorative treatments down the line. Simply slip your appliance into your mouth before you get in bed or whenever you brux.
Call Los Alamitos Dental Care at (562) 539-0011 or reach out to us from this website.